Monday, June 4, 2007

Marsala, Anyone?

So, last night the Big Dubya and I were trying to decide what to have for dinner.... we'd fallen into a bit of a dinner rut and wanted to shake it up a bit instead of eating the same old thing again.

I remembered that a new seafood shop opened up nearby and suggested he go get some scallops -- we could have them with a Caesar salad. He was a little incredulous about the pairing, but being a scallop lover -- he went and picked up a gorgeous pound of freshly caught sea scallops.

While he was out, I did a quick internet search -- looking for a new way to cook them. I've done baked with breading.... sauteed in butter & garlic.... wrapped in bacon, but this time, I wanted to do something different.

I came across this recipe and decided to give it a whirl. I think I can speak for both of us when I say THUMBS UP!!! The only draw back was that the recipe calls for Marsala wine (see, it all comes back to whine). The only Marsala I had in the house was cheap supermarket wine, it had been in for a while.... and of course, liquor stores here in CT are closed on Sunday.

I didn't want to let that hold me back, so I figured.... hey, how bad could it be?

To be honest, it was delicious -- but I'm wondering if a better quality Marsala would have taken this recipe to the next level.
Anyone have a Marsala they'd like to recommend?

4 comments:

Sue said...

Darren does a nice veal marsala - he'll have to post the recipe.

Challenge 20/20 teams said...

Following the advice that you should never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink, we have a nice (ish) bottle of Marsala hanging out in our kitchen. I don't know the name of it and I had to take the wine store guy's rec because while I like Marsala as an ingredient, I find it undrinkable. Thanks for the recipe!

Darren said...

I asked the wine store guy for a marsala recommendation too but didn't like what I got. And I just picked a recipe off food.com...I'm not even sure I'd know which one it was.

Mrs Big Dubya said...

I use Emeril's chicken marsala recipe all the time (taken off of foodnetwork.com) and it's delicious.

I may have to pursue this marsala wine issue....

I agree w/ Kara -- I generally don't like to cook with it unless I can also enjoy it in a glass