Sunday, August 26, 2007

Blonde Italian



How did it get to be the last week of August?! Seriously, I can't believe we waited this long to get to our assignment (although I did run right out and purchase the wine when assigned).

I went to a different liquor store (packys if you're in MA, bevvys for VT) this time (since the one we had been frequenting had just been busted for selling to underage minors. Oops. Plus their selection wasn't the greatest.) So on the recommendation of the nice man who helped me out, we tried a 2006 Tiefenbrunner Pinot Grigio. It cost approximately $13 - $15 - I just told the nice man my price range and this is what he recommended. What can I say, I'm easy.

This was a nice, crisp, refreshing white wine. It had been chilled for a while, waiting for us to decide to open it for the penultimate weekend of "unoffical" summer. The bottle doesn't have a description of the vineyard, or wine, but it does have the handy dandy website of the winery. The winery is located in South Tyrol, which is close to the Swiss Alps, and there's a castle! The vines grow on the south facing slopes of the castle.

According to the website, the wine is described as "light yellow to sandy coloured in appearance, with an unobtrusive bouquet, hints of pears and candied fruit". We didn't get that at all. It was a nice white, not too fruity, and kind of "oak-y", but nothing that stood out at all.

For that price, I think I'd try something different next time. Nothing against this wine, I just think there might be better out there for the same price (or less).

No comments: