Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Off the Wall

Ok - this has nothing to do with July's assignments. And, it's not like I/we haven't been drinking either. I've just been experimenting with some microbrews and getting reacquainted with some old favorites (I had forgotten how good Magic Hat #9 actually is). Anyway, when I was at the packie a few weeks back looking for a South African selection, I stumbled on something that only people in the five New England states (and Connecticut) might enjoy/appreciate.

CaberKnuckle. That's right. CaberKnuckle. And there, on the label, Tim Wakefield. I thought it was pretty cool - Wake's got his own vintage. Sweet. Then I see the unmistakable visage of Manny on another label. Manny being Merlot. And there's Schill - Schilling Schardonnay. Ha, such clever word play all around. Ok, ok I'll admit it - I am a fanboy. Sue me.

What's that? Of course I bought a bottle. The wines are distributed under the Longball Vineyards label through Charity Wines (VinLozano Importers). The sales proceeds benefit each player's selected charity: Charlee Homes for Children, Curt's Pitch for ALS and Pitching in for Kids.

Like I said, I picked up the CaberKnuckle and brought it home to try that night with Mrs. Big Dubya. She's not that big a fan of Cabs and only had one glass. I finished the bottle - surprise, surprise. It was okay. I'd love to be able to throw in some knuckle-ball metaphors here, but I think I'll let them go for now. It wasn't an impressive bottle - not one that made me say, Wow or anything. I picked it up for its novelty factor, not because it was a rare vintage and I was hoping to collect it. It was, by far, better than the vitamin water we had at the end of June. It was smooth, light on the tannins (a huge plus for me) and subtly fruity. Not one that I'd call a Bold or Big red, but mild.

However, it didn't stop Mrs. Big Dubya from picking up the Manny Being Merlot. Hopefully it's big and bold and not lackadaisical and aloof.

2 comments:

Darren said...

Since I'm from Connecticut and not New England I guess that explains why I don't like that team.

I'm also a big fan of # 9 though.

Sue said...

When did Connecticut get kicked out of New England??

If you like the # 9 try the Fat Angel! or the Hocus Pocus!