Thursday, May 17, 2007

A little too acidic for me

First let me begin that I have had other wines from Bogle Vineyards and enjoyed them very much. In fact, one of my go-to, reasonably priced red wines is Bogle's Old Vine Zinfandel. So when at the store this weekend I saw Bogle's 2004 Petite Sirah, I decided to pick it up. It was also recommended by a reader over on Sarah and the Goon Squad, so between it being from a favorite Vineyard and a recommendation, it seemed like a no-brainer. Maybe not....

Yesterday after work I uncorked the bottle and let it breathe for oh, I don't know, three minutes before pouring a glass. I was a little taken aback with the first sip. The OVZ is pretty smooth. This wasn't. Granted, I had just eaten a BBQ chip, so I decided not to hold it against the wine. I waited a bit, had some water, finished cooking dinner when Mr. Tall Guy asked if he could get in on the bottle. Sure! So I poured another glass and off we go to dinner. Again, my choice of food pairings wasn't the best. This morning I checked the recommendations of the website. "Try this unique wine with rich meat dishes of lamb, pork or game and their hearty sauces." Yeah, mac and cheese and a grilled chicken sandwich probably wasn't what they had in mind. (hey, no judgements! It's what I had in the house!)

The first thing that struck me about the wine is when I poured it was the color. It's a very rich, dark plum color. The first sip was somewhat acidic and they didn't get much better than that. In fact it covered any fruity undertones that may have been there. I'm a bit of a wine novice, so I don't have all the jargon, but Mr. Tall Guy wasn't a fan of it either. In fact we both stopped after our first glass, and that just never happens. Who knows? Maybe it was an off night for us. I sealed it up what was left of the bottle and will try again tonight.

I paid $12.99 for the bottle and will probably pass on it in the future.

8 comments:

Kara said...

geez- tough week for the sirah/syrahs, eh? I usually like Bogle wines quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I like the Old Vine Zin too, but other than that I haven't had much luck with Bogle wines.

They just seem over priced for what they are. I'd be fine with a bottle of that Syrah for $6.99, but it's twice that price.

PunditMom said...

Oh, my! This is the ont I picked for my wine, as well! I actually liked this one and thought it was a good sipping wine, as well as with food.

I did get it on sale for $10.99.

Oh, well, guess I'll have to pick another one! ;)

Mrs Big Dubya said...

Oh punditmom, you poor baby... you have to drink another bottle of wine??? what ever will you do?

I still haven't figured out what married contributors are supposed to do.... I'm guessing it is a bottle each, right Kara & Sue?

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

That's too bad. I'm a fan of the Bogle Old Vine Zin too. Bummer.

Apparently P said...

I'll admit I liked it better last night. I got past the acidic taste and found the taste of berries I had been looking for! Maybe it just needed some time after opening? Or maybe last night I was desperate because it was a crappy day. It was better, but not good enough to get again. That is unless it was the only thing available because let's face it, sometimes you just need some vino!

Her Bad Mother said...

This is AWESOME. If only I weren't sick... could wrap my tongue around a good syrah...mmm...

Darren said...

Mrs Big Dubya--Sue and I are going with a bottle each. I think we'll be able to handle that in a month.